Saturday, September 3, 2011

Second Chances

I work in the ghetto.  My employees all have sad stories that go with them everywhere.   They have hard lives, much more difficult than mine.

Today's story to share is about an employee...we'll call him Patrick.  I saw Patrick start work at my company while I was in management training class.  He was rough around the edges when I first met him and there was always a certain sadness about him...like a dark cloud.

Pat and I have been working many late night hours and I have been pouring training time one on one with him to attempt to get him a raise and make his life better...a point that he seems to really "get". I am really only supposed to train the cashiers...but I have most of my people trained and he needs someone to give him a chance.

One of our late night talks brought up how Pat is on probation.  He has to meet with his parole officer regularly.  This is very common for my employees and I have gotten used to certain jargon that is part of their difficult lives.  Pat lives in the projects and many people who live there are second generation dwellers...in other words..they were born into this mess and know no other life.  In order to make money so he "could be somebody" he turned to being part of a gang and selling drugs.  Being a part of a gang is common as well and sometimes protects their loved ones...it is protection.

Pat began dealing drugs and made a better life for himself by cutting out emotions for others for many years.  To see him now---you would never believe that statement.  Pat made some bad decisions and ended up in prison.  He was in a car chase running from the law and his drug dealing.

In prison Pat made a good decision.  Pat has many skills as I have discovered.  He is a top flight car mechanic with natural aptitude for assembling and diagnosing auto problems.  Pat decided when he got out he would leave his gang---a brave decision that would put him at odds with old friends.  He decided to be a good father---a courageous decision that he has no pattern or example to follow.  Finally, he decided to use his mechanic skills to help others.  Pat told me "I want to use my skills to help others...I've been given a chance to make up for some things...that's what I want...to make things right."

Pat has a big heart and it shows...in fact..I would bet money that God's name for him Is HEART. I am so proud of him coming to work at a low paying job with only the thought of his girl and his 14 month old sweet little daughter.  He shares his knowledge with others and helps me train others now.  He shares his talents and changes his neighbors oil or does bodywork whenever possible.  He gives everything he has to others...his time, his talent, and his treasure.

Today is Pat's birthday and I am sure that God is looking down at Pat and proud of his choices this past year....God is a God of second chances for all of us.  I can only hope to make Him proud by making good decisions like Pat.


No comments:

Post a Comment