Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Forgotten?

Sometimes life really hurts..it hurts way deep down and we can't touch the pain or make it go away.  Yes God is still beside us and with us but the path we are on seems endless and it feels like we are all alone.  There are stories in our lives that bring pain and kill peace and joy.  I know where those stories and attacks come from but they still pierce me right through.  There are words that even though I believe they are not true, they wound on top of old scars anyways.

The path sometimes looks hopeless and endless...what then?  I call on the Holy Spirit..."please help me", "it all hurts so bad." Has God forgotten me?

I grew up in the middle of a big family and sometimes I was forgotten...those who didn't create chaos and wanted to hide from physical abuse---perhaps it was good to be forgotten at times.

When the family you grew up in was so dysfunctional and twisted that it's not safe to share the memories....
When my past disqualifies me from leading my family in the present...
When I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel....
The voices in my head won't give me peace....
The people around me are suffering and I feel I cannot provide help or answers....
When it feels like God has bigger fish to fry than my circumstances....

but......

God did provide a way out for his people when he divided the sea...
God cared about a wedding enough to provide more wine....
God cared about a little man named Zachaeus, small in stature, hated tax collector for the Romans, despised....that he pursued and changed his heart...and loved him,
I could name a million reasons I should have hope because God pursued others and cared about minute details in their lives....
He knows us all by a personal name that he has given to each of us.....and he loves us
God is the hero of this story...his way will appear, he will appear...
His perfect peace is in my heart as the tornado called life continues to swirl about me. Outer peace can be robbed--and this always used to make me so angry.... but my trust although I waiver (only human)...that trust provides my peace that He promised.

I don't have any neat little bows or quips to tie this one up...life is messy and the pain is real...perhaps you too are barely hanging on, although I really hope not.

1 Peter 5:7

I am barely hanging on as I write this, yet I trust His heart that he loves me and hasn't forgotten me.

1 comment:

  1. Another powerful post because it's so raw. I am so proud of the man you are, Glenn my brother-in-law! I love you.
    Deuteronomy 4:29-31. Sandra

    ReplyDelete