Thursday, June 21, 2012

a Magical Day

A few weeks ago I took my daughter to an event called Father's Delight.  It is a local event here in Nashville to connect fathers and daughters in a meaningful way.

For many of the dads it was great to see the electronics turned off and their attention switch on.  My youngest is adventurous and loved the day that was planned.
For information regarding this event
http://abbasway.com/fathers-heart-upcoming-events/fathers-delight/#comment-1860

The day started with the dads coming with a note about some special things about their daughters that is unique about them and that we find special and beautiful.  We also wrote a note about how excited we were about the day ahead and spending this time together.  While the dads were being briefed on the coming activities...the daughters were receiving a diary keepsake for photos and to journal about the activities later on in the day.


There were many activities together and the day was action packed.  Together we zip lined over the trees...did a horseback trail ride, giant swing...but our favorite was the alpine tower climb.  We were harnessed up with spotters and climber up this tower and together stood up at the pinnacle with our arms raised in triumph looking out over the whole camp and lake.

After the activities was a ceremony.  This ceremony was to let our daughters know those things that we find beautiful and unique about them.  She listened so intently and absorbed every word I said like it was a treasure.  She was surprised about the things I picked out about her.... her incredible imagination, quick wit, love for singing, sense of adventure........she felt "seen."  Everyone wants to know they matter in this world....everyone.

After the ceremony a surprise...the daughters had each written their dad a note...mine will be cherished forever.  I also felt "seen" by her. She "loves me because when the going gets tough..I don't run...I stay and fight."

We went home and got cleaned up for the ball---a princess ball.  There was a rose waiting for each princess and photo time.  The princess was taken back to the princess room for make up, sparkles....and of course a tiara.



I don't ever dance...but I danced this night because she made it ok for me to look a little crazy and foolish...just plain old fun.  Seeing other fathers I knew dancing with their daughters...it was fun, fun, fun.  Even our DJ was one of the dads from our group.

I remember during the ceremony earlier some of the dads with tears in their eyes saying some of the most wonderful and loving things to their daughters.  How can you ever recreate such moments in time?

I remember my thought from earlier in the day.....I want to be very intentional about speaking the things I see in her regularly and not just on special occasions which are far too rare and too far in between.

She is a treasure....and I have been trusted with her.....

What an incredible day!


No comments:

Post a Comment