Sunday, March 25, 2012

My Dad's Greatest Joy

Strange that I write about my Dad and joy together in a sentence.  Sometimes I would wish to really know him and "get him" and connect in some meaningful way.  I will say to him one day that I did hear him and listen to him, and that is why this blog entry tonight.

Recently my brothers and sisters have been working diligently and together I might add trying to secure a suitable place for my Mom's care for now and the future.  Mom has moments of clarity and wit, but most of the time she has gone through some paranoia and delusions.

My brothers and sisters have taken on the brunt of this reality and hardship for the past couple years.  Some of them have been verbally wounded while trying to help, sometimes much more.  Words wounding their hearts in different ways, carefully calculated and sharp.  I know, I have experienced them before....fresh memories as if they were from yesterday.

Anyways, my family really tends to appear fractured and aloof at times, sometimes just on different paths and going in different directions.  My brothers and sisters came together and worked physically and mentally together to help discuss options for Mom, get her home sold and all of the work with that moving and getting her relocated with care for her condition.  What they did was not a miracle by anyone's account but I find it remarkable none the less.  I don't remember many times in my life when I witnessed so many of them working together....working out the details with all personal issues aside.

How does my Dad fit into this?  He has been long gone for ten years now, but I remember having a conversation with him where he clearly told me his "greatest joy in life was watching us kids take care of one another."

I can't help but know in my heart he was looking down and chuckling in his deep growl his approval to himself of watching the recent events that transpired.  Knowing they all did their best to contribute in some way and take care of Mom as well as the ultimate goal....well if taking care of each other was his greatest joy in life then this moment must have been my Dad's greatest joy of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment