Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Strangely Wrapped Gift

I received an unexpected gift this week.  It actually is probably not what you are thinking.  You see, it wasn't anything that someone physically gave me.  At this time of year we can usually assume a gift is something that we receive....something that is wrapped up with wrapping paper and a bow.

Not this gift...

This gift was a friend that allowed me the opportunity to speak truth about his life...words that are simple and true.  It cost me nothing but time.  Time these days is very valuable to me and a precious commodity.  I am working two jobs to make ends meet, so time is very scarce and precious.   We can see some struggles so clearly when we have blazed a similar trail in our lives.  Many times the trail is too close for comfort and so we avoid the pain and tell people the standard "we are praying for you".  While I have no doubt that many actually do pray, many more do not and they just don't know what to say...it's OK though, I do understand.

Words...they can give life or they can crush the spirit.  Unspoken words can snuff out the light of the soul.  Dramatic--No!  Words, spoken sincerely and from the heart allow us to connect in the purest form of community I know.

To touch some of that pain and not have all the answers but still speak from the heart...that was allowing me the gift of giving some of me.  It allows me to redeem some of my own story and pain.

That was a gift for me..medicine for my heart.  I am thankful ;)

Eucharisteo.

No comments:

Post a Comment